ASSE: fear of sanctions, quantification of the damage... how Saint-Etienne recovers from the chaos

ASSE: fear of sanctions, quantification of the damage… how Saint-Etienne recovers from the chaos

#ASSE #fear #sanctions #quantification #damage #SaintEtienne #recovers #chaos

Chaos reigned on the pitch at Geoffroy-Guichard, on Sunday after AS Saint-Etienne’s relegation to Ligue 2.

The day after his relegation to Ligue 2, twenty-one years after his last step through the prelude to the elite (2001-04), Saint-Etienne has a headache this Monday. This disillusioned day after passes in silence and calm. To the silence of the actors is added that of the sympathizers, in the context of an estimate of the damage that could range between 400,000 euros and one million euros.

L’Etrat, gloomy plain

There is only the courtyard of the Etrat primary school, which overlooks the main entrance of the training center, which he inhabits. It’s recess, lunchtime, and the town’s schoolchildren are enjoying themselves, unconcerned and unperturbed by the whirlpools that shake the residents of the neighboring buildings. There is also a dose of humor and detachment in this employee who has experienced stormy moments in his club. “He may have to change the ringtone, you know the Coupe de la Loire credits,” he smiles as he meets a small handful of journalists present outside the Robert-Herbin sports hall.

It is true that the music of the Champions League, which alerts you to your calls, seems a bit out of date a few hours after relegation to Ligue 2, as in 1984, 1996 or even 2001, for the contemporary era of the Greens. And as a symbol, to bury the absence of the 125th derby between Lyon and Saint-Etienne in 2022-23, the ASSE falls in its… 69th season in the top flight. The derbies will now be in Grenoble or Annecy. It is not the same fervor advertised. Even 65 kilometers away, between the Rhône and the Saône, this descent is experienced as already, an absence.

The sadness of employees “out of football”

A bit of childhood life, a bit of humor from an employee whose skin has been toughened by years of working closely with gamers. But nothing more: no banner, no police, no sympathizers. Calm reigns in the State in the “exterior” version. Inside, the descent scare lurks in every hallway of the building. Even for these “non-sporting” employees, still shocked by the sporting relegation, but also and above all by the violence that marked the decisive penalty shootout from 9:48 p.m. – time of the formalization of the relegation – until 11:15 p.m. hours. Less than twelve hours later, the spirits are still ringing, and some still have a few tears in them. Those that others knew how to release in the nervousness of this post-match of infinite violence.

L’Etrat plain boring, without a final step from either the athletes or the coach Pascal Dupraz, who is always silent. At the end of the morning, Loïc Perrin, sports coordinator (11:15) and Jean François Soucasse (a little before noon), executive president, arrive without saying a word in front of the entrance door of the Robert-Herbin center. . The speech of the “institution” will continue to be this press release, a little out of date at 10:23 p.m., indicating that “important news about the future of the club will be announced in a few days.”

No player speaks after the game, even at the end of a “confinement” of almost three hours in the locker room, while the Auxerrois player will be “released” (according to the terms of the police forces in charge of exfiltration) at 23:20 hours, two and a half hours after the glorious final whistle for the Burgundians.

Almost a million euros in damages?

And during this time, at the Geoffroy-Guichard stadium, Christophe Chavanne, the “technical” head of the venue managed by Métropole Stéphanoise, takes stock of the following day’s matches. He experienced this stormy post-match from the inside and was only able to close the stadium at 1:45, enough time to check everything in terms of security. A few hours later, he submits to tedious morning work.

ASSE services confirm to RMC Sport in mid-afternoon the extent of the riotous damage: much of the Greens’ substitutes’ bench caught fire, as did the synthetic turf surrounding the touchline. the tunnel side of the changing rooms, where it will be necessary to clean the floors and walls damaged by the heat of the thrown explosive devices. Part of the electrical system, which in winter keeps the grass in very cold climates, saw its cables melt when the explosive devices, once on the ground, continued to burn. Some seats in the official stands are also damaged, as is a side entrance door to the stadium, damaged by an attempted break-in around 10:20 p.m.

Two arrests at the time of the invasion

In this aftermath of chaos, the lingering smells of burning gas and plastic lurk in the hallways. There are the LED advertising signs, which the most excited took as objects to throw at the CRS. Balance, alone: ​​a loss of 400,000 euros. During this afternoon, the services of the Metropolis refine the final score via repair budgets requested from the companies. The damages could finally amount to one million euros. There is also in parallel a whole index declaration work carried out by sworn agents, in order to define in the long term the responsibilities of the “invaders” that can be compromised.

At the moment, on Sunday night two arrests were made, one for invasion of land, the other for the use of pyrotechnic devices. There are fourteen wounded on the police side. There is also this question: how is it that the south gallery subscribers who had caused the closed session, relocated to the side and who had promised to “stay calm”, changed their minds on the end result? Why did you break this deal with the club and especially with the authorities? The press release from the Prefecture at 1 in the morning, indicating two injured players on the Auxerre side, is already interpreted as a stone in the club’s garden, thrown by authorities who have little taste for the final scenario. The Disciplinary Committee of the Professional Football League has decided to investigate the Sainté-Auxerre file, its decision will be pronounced “at the end of the session on Thursday, June 23”, specifies a press release. It could bring heavy sanctions for an institution accustomed to going back and forth in Paris on this issue. ASSE fears the relocation of matches, or even a withdrawal of points.

Mais dans ce jour d’après, là n’est pas le más important puisque d’ici là, dix-sept joueurs en fin de contrat ne seront plus là à la rentrée et un tour de table capitalistique devrait aider à renouveler l’ history. Because at the Etrat Morne Plaine, there is also that memory that is still felt by all the people who took part in the match: the great anxiety that reigned in the stadium, especially in the boxes where many spectators had settled. Since the instruction, once the aggressions of some two hundred fans abroad began, was to remain confined. Especially because with the return of the tear gas only the fire alarms sounded and the firefighters multiplied the rounds, adding anguish in a context that was already generating anxiety.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *